February is known for Black History Month as well as the month of Love! However, intimacy should be experienced daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly. Intimacy is a closeness that can be physical, emotional, intellectual, or even spiritual and it occurs between you and a partner. Fibroids can interfere with every aspect of intimacy especially physical and emotional.
The act of sex and or love making is a beautiful act that enhances relationships or even destroy them due to the lack of. Fibroids can cause bleeding in between cycles, discomfort with sex/sexual positions, decreased or nonexistence libido and decrease emotional connection because of embarrassment. Embarrassed to tell your partner that you bleed through the sheets or that you don’t enjoy sex because of pain or discomfort or that you’ve bleed for 2-3 weeks straight and that you don’t have energy to have sex. Although intimacy is more than sex, emotional intimacy is lost as well because a lot of women feel that they cannot share some or the things that they experience because of fear of rejection or the inability to understand.
To address the “stigma” of fibroids and intimacy and because it is the month of love a special challenge is in order.
Intimacy With Fibroids Challenge
Number the items below 1-12 and have you partner choose a number, act out the number they choose and Enjoy!
- Talk to your partner about your struggle(s) with fibroids
- Soak in an herbal bath with your partner
- Try different sexual positions and keep the ones that are more
comfortable than others
- Hold and cuddle your partner to sleep
- Sensual massage
- Massage your partners feet
- Sleep in the nude (only if Crazy Aunt Flo isn’t visiting)
- Kiss your partner from head to toe and take your time
- Write your partner a letter to express your love and admiration
- Take a romantic bath with your partner
- Strip tease for your partner
- Make a play list to slow dance to
This is only a small list of things to encourage discussions about fibroids and how they affect so many women, their womanhood, and their intimacy. This is a challenge to really let our partners love us emotionally, physically, spiritually, and intellectually and to no longer let fibroids interfere with intimacy.